- This event has passed.
SAWJ Meeting/Presentation “Protect Your Practice — Identifying, Understanding and Guarding Against Risk”
September 12, 2019 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm$35
Come out and join us at our monthly Dinner Meeting presentation at Carlucci’s Waterfront in Mt. Laurel on Thursday Sept.. 12th at 7PM – 9:30 +/-. This months guest speakers are Joseph T. Ciampoli, Esq.,and Fred Mahar, Esq., P.E., Esq. of Thompson Becker, LLC located in Cherry Hill, NJ . Additional Speakers include Terry Ann Coleman, Petty Burton Associates/Wm. H. Connolly in Montclair, NJ. Mr.
Protect our Practice — Identifying, Understanding and Guarding Against Risk
Why do you need to have insurance for your professional services?
• All projects present some level of risk
• Just because your scope of services may be small does not mean that potential claims will be small
• Often times no relationship between scope and magnitude of claim
• Do not assume that a claimant will not pursue your business/personal assets if you not have a professional policy of insurance
• Your general liability policy will exclude coverage for the provision of professional services
• If you subcontract out any part of your services and errors are committed within that scope of services, you could be held responsible
• The variety of potential damages is broad – demolition/reconstruction, loss of use, diminishment in value, loss of profit/economic opportunity…
Standard of Care
• The Standard of Care for all professional services performed or furnished by Surveyor will be the skill and care used by members of Surveyor’s profession practicing under the same or similar circumstances at the same time and in the same locality.
• Standard of care does not require perfection. Rather, the focus is on the level of services provided by an average member of the professional community.
• It is a process-based analysis as opposed to an outcome based analysis. In other words, simply because there is a bad result does not mean that a breach of the standard of care has occurred.