WEST JERSEY CHAPTER DIRECTOR’S REPORT
Prepared by: Charles E. Adamson, Director of West Jersey
Board of Director’s Meeting Date: May 10, 2016
West Jersey Meeting Date: May 12, 2016
State Board Report:
• No report, they did not have a meeting.
• A focus group has been set up to study the answers/comments about land surveying in the future. The biggest response was to how to get younger people involved with land surveying and go back to the High Schools.
• John Rossi resigned as Vice President, so Ambrose Gmeiner moved up to fill V.P. seat and we approved John Beattie a North Jersey Director to take the Director at Large position.
• Jim Sens will email a detailed report about the NSPS spring conference.
• The conference will be more electronic and we are going to improve the Tech day on Friday.
• Annual Awards Dinner is Saturday, May 14, 2016 at Clarion Hotel in Toms River. Chip Adamson, Steve Mervine and Bill Haggerty are attending for West Jersey. (110 people are attending)
• NJSPLS is designing a new, improved and updated booth for various conferences.
• NJSPLS has a boundary task force committee at NJGF. Headed by the GIS/LIS Comm. they have quarterly meetings in Trenton and has made the announcement.
• The GIS/LIS Comm. is looking for speakers for MACUROSA conference in October.
• Chip Adamson will be co-chair on the NJSPLS GIS/LIS comm. with Dawn McCall.
• The GIS/LIS Comm. submitted a 2016/2017 budget for &5,000 for various events, meetings and activities during this year and it will be included in the NJSPLS budget and voted on at July’s meeting.
• Setting up CST classes in September and the CST test will be in October this year.
• All legislative bills that NJSPLS is tracking are on our web site. All bills that are new or reintroduced committee is reviewing.
• NJSPLS is sending a letter to support the Digital Coast Act to Senators Booker (NJ), Baldwin (WI) & Murkowski (AK)
NJSPLS Scholarship Foundation:
• Charlie Bell is running the raffle again this year, Bill has the tickets if you need them. Charlie has said that it looks like we will raise less then we did last year unless we get more tickets sold.
• Looking to do a study on investing the scholarship foundation so we can earn more interest.
NJSPLS 2016 SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS:
George Swensen – $2,500
Ethan Hyder – $1,500
Jacob Elliott – $1,500
El Mehdi Bendsame – $1,500
Nicholas Van Wattingen – $1,500
NJSPLS 2016 Annual Awards:
Surveyor of the Year – Peter Burgess PLS, PE
Lifetime Achievement – Richard Smith, Jr. PLS
Technician of the Year – Timothy Coyle & Lew Reed
“Friend of the Society” – John & Rosemary Boyd, Boyd Instruments